Getting into the university is one thing but getting the course you desire is another. There are thousands of people who are in the university today studying a course they never intended, the university gave you a different course from the one you initially wanted, this happens all the time.
However, there are others after they have gained admission into a course they thought was their dream course, it turned out to be different from what they expected and now they want out, they want to change their course, this is also another scenario that may require a student to want to change course. This two cases happens all the time and if you fall into any of this, there is no issue at all, you can change your course if you follow the steps in this article correctly
There might be several reasons why you would want to change your course of study. Some things in life are just overrated. Sometimes it could be that you do not understand what is being taught and they lecturers are not helping either. Sometimes there could be a dozen reason why but we have taken out some time to highlight the possible reason why you may want to change your course in any Nigerian university.
Life happens, things change, it be could mentally, environmentally or even family. Any of life situation or circumstance can throw someone off balance and that can affect your studies. This can however lead to distraction and you may have the need to change institution or your course of study.
To change your course of study in any Nigerian university is dynamic, there are some important things that you should be mindful of, to change your course of study is not something you wake up in the morning and just decide that this is what you want to do. You have to be thorough about it and be sure it is in your best interest. Here are some key things to keep in mind before changing your course in any Nigerian universities
1. First of all, you need to find out all about the course you want to change to. This is important because most of the time the school is aware that some students would want to change their course due to pressure and they would look for an opportunity to reject it.
2. You must meet the basic requirement and program qualification to be accepted into the department or allowed the course you want to change to. If you do not qualify after you have been reviewed your application is most likely be turned down.
3. Thirdly, there is a huge possibility that you would not be allowed to switch courses in the same year you tendered your application mostly because if you do not meet the deadline and if your application process is not properly done.
Requirements and Cost of Changing Course in Nigeria University
There are certain requirements that are expected from a student that want to change course or department. These are very important and without them your application to switch may be declined.
- Firstly, there are standards that a student must meet before the school can consider transferring a student to another department or course
- To change to another course or department, the student is expected to meet the minimal cut-off GPA of that department or course before the student can be admitted through Change of Degree Programme.
- The student is required to pay a fee of 5,000 Naira (Five Thousand Naira) for what is called “Application Processing Fee” and obtain a payment invoice. The invoice may be required in the future.
- The university Admission Office will confirm the student’s eligibility for the new department or course; this is mostly done by evaluating the student grades, etc. The student whose names appear on the payment schedule will be processed.
How to Change Course in Nigeria University (Intra-University Transfer)
To change course or department in the same university, there are some criteria you must meet. Your application must be completed and submitted before the deadline. To change course or department during your 100 level (first year), these are the steps you must take.
The first thing to do is talk with your course advisor, because you need someone to guide you the best possible way moving forward. In his wisdom, he will guide you and give you the necessary steps you need to take as far as the school is concerned.
If you do not know how your university intra transfer works you may also need to talk to your student affairs. They can give you an insight and steps or possible take you to someone at the university who you can guide you the best possible way.
You must purchase the change of course form. Fill and complete the application form, this form is either available online or you can find it at the student affairs department.
You current department and the one you wish to change to will review your application. You can only be accepted into the department when you meet all the requirement and one of the most important one is getting up to the required GPA. This is an important aspect in changing your course of study in any Nigerian university
Once your application is approved, you will be notified and you can now take the new courses or join the new department.